Notice
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now?

Re: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now? 19 Jun 2012 14:21 #3418

Whilst I really do need all of the usual money, I don't think I'd be able to get them to understand. That's worrying me a fair amount.

I'll go out tomorrow and hopefully get a signed letter. Will something like: "I can confirm that on [DATE], [MY NAME] attended our premises as was arranged but had to be turned away [BECAUSE]" do?

So infuriating I can't speak to somebody face-to-face about this.
  • Winsmith
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now? 19 Jun 2012 14:50 #3420

Winsmith, bear in mind that they can not assume you have any money left over from your last benefit payment, as that was a payment for an earlier period.

The amount you are given is how much they think you need to live on in a 2 week period. If your sanction runs from, e.g. 20th June to 27th June, that means you have NIL income for that period. So if you say "I need 30 for food in this time", for example, they can't really say "No, you don't" - because you do. You have zero income and zero savings, so make sure you make that clear.

Edit: As for the repayment side of things, there's no way (that I know of) to delay the repayments in any way. This is one of the great problems in the system. They claim you need "x" amount to live on, then apply sanctions and/or deductions. Sort of negates their own logic. Your one saving grace here will be if you are successful in your appeal - you'll get the money back, and you can repay the loan in full with it, and continue with full benefit payments in future.

I think your signed letter sounds ok. Get as much detail in as you can.

"I, [NAME], can confirm that on [DATE], [YOUR NAME] attended [PROVIDER NAME] at [ADDRESS] following the appointment which was arranged on [DATE], but had to be turned away [BECAUSE]"
  • Baron
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 415
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2012 14:58 by Baron.

Re: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now? 20 Jun 2012 14:46 #3451

After reading another post on hardship, I'm unsure if I was correct on whether you'll be eligible or not. There seems to be conflicting information out there.

Definitely check this with the Job Centre. If you are eligible, you'll get a reduced amount of JSA to help you through the sanction period.
  • Baron
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now? 27 Jun 2012 17:54 #3615

I went to the Job Centre on Monday and applied for hardship. Earlier that morning I rang for a crisis loan but was rejected for 3 reasons:
1) Crisis Loans can't be used as replacement for other benefits (fair enough)
2) Since the money from my last payment is supposed to last until Thursday and no proper emergency has happened, I would have to wait until the next payment to be in crisis (which is reasonable, nothing has changed except future payments.

I can't remember the third reason. I get half the usual JSA on Thursday because the sanction was halfway through my 'signing period' if you get what I mean.

I feel bad about what I wrote on the hardship form, probably should have explained more but I was pressed for time.

Since my mother and brother receive JSA - which is deemed enough for them to live on, and I have no sources of income myself or friends/family to rely on - they must give me hardship, surely?

With regards to the place I was supposed to have that MWA in March - I went on Monday, the woman I saw the first time who can vouch for my presence is on holiday and wont be back until this Monday. There was another lady but she has since left.

If hardship doesn't come my way soon, will I be okay for a crisis loan since it will count as a temporary measure until the hardship works out and I will be in proper 'crisis' situation? Had to spend 90 minutes in a phone box last time.
  • Winsmith
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now? 02 Jul 2012 00:31 #3693

Are they still saying the sanction runs up to mid-september?

You should definitely get hardship if it's going to last that long.

As your situation seems to be a genuine misunderstanding, I'd think you'll be ok in the end. If you explain everything, get your proof, and not back down, you'll get your payments backdated properly anyway. Don't let them bully you.

If there's nothing you can think of to satisfy their requirements for a crisis loan, try looking at a budgeting loan. Budgeting Loans

The criteria with a budgeting loan is a bit more open, as long as you've been claiming at least 26 weeks. It's also interest free.

If you need to phone them, don't use your own money on a phone box (unless it was free?) - use the phones in the job centre. If they say you can't, they're talking rubbish.
  • Baron
  • Platinum Boarder

Re: JSA has been sanctioned because of bureaucratic nonsense - what do I do now? 02 Jul 2012 06:39 #3695

Winsmith

E-mail everyone, there is a list of district managers and their superirors. Set out your case and e-mail them, plus your providers too. Go online find out their names. Compliance manager, Supply Chain Manager etc.

Why will you not get JSA until September? Any sanction lasting more than 4 weeks can be overturned after 4 weeks.

Get down to your CAB. Read the sanctions section on consent me site.

Call Welfare Advice Service.

Get an explanation, without it, it is impossible to help.
  • Bryan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1051
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds