Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned.

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 14:44 #9783

The work and pensions secretary, Iain Duncan Smith, has announced that claimants will be given a “yellow card” 14 days before their benefits are reduced. The warning allows them time to give a good reason for failing to meet commitments they make in return for getting benefits. Under current rules, sanctions are applied immediately.

www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/22/be...eriod-to-be-trialled?
  • Ricky1
  • Apprentice Contributor
  • Thank you received: 298
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazy Cow, billyhasnomates, echidna, El-dudeareno, Mary, Jeff

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 14:57 #9784

intensiveactivity.wordpress.com/2015/10/...tem-begins-to-crack/
Benefit Sanctions: Two Weeks Warning Introduced as System Begins to Crack.
  • echidna
  • Elder Contributor
  • Thank you received: 1569
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazy Cow, billyhasnomates, Caker, Mary

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 14:58 #9785

My understanding was that claimants are sent a 'good reason' letter in which they are invited to submit details of particular circumstances which affected their compliance. The timescale (as I recall, from receiving such a letter) is 5 days from the date of the letter (bearing in mind that time between postage and delivery has already elapsed). This 'yellow card' appears to be just extending the time for submitting the 'good reason' :blink: whereas I understood that a 'yellow card' in common parlance, means a warning / caution. :unsure:

I am always happy to be corrected if I got anything wrong.
  • Caker
  • Guru Contributor
  • Thank you received: 2607
* If you even dream of beating me up, you'd better wake up and apologize. - Muhammad Ali
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazy Cow, billyhasnomates, echidna, El-dudeareno, Mary

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 15:03 #9786

www.parliament.uk/business/publications/...s/2015-10-22/HCWS259
Government response to Work and Pensions Select Committee report, Benefit sanctions policy beyond the Oakley Review:Written statement

Rightsnet discussion about
Sanctions - no written decisions and uninformative MRNs
www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/8825/
  • echidna
  • Elder Contributor
  • Thank you received: 1569
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazy Cow, billyhasnomates

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 15:06 #9787

This looks like smoke and mirrors. The article goes on to point out the rate at which sanctions are overturned (not correctly applied in the first place :dry: ). This new scheme looks as if it is designed to stem the number of sanctions being taken to the appeal stage = fewer losses for the DWP. DWP saves face and everyone is happy :whistle:
  • Caker
  • Guru Contributor
  • Thank you received: 2607
* If you even dream of beating me up, you'd better wake up and apologize. - Muhammad Ali
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazy Cow, billyhasnomates, echidna, SimAlastair, El-dudeareno, tonyc

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 17:07 #9789

God almighty. The sheer arrogance of that moron has to be seen to be believed.
“During this time, claimants will have another opportunity to provide further evidence to explain their non-compliance,” he said in a letter to the work and pensions select committee.

But there cannot possibly be a requirement for the JCP to PROVE their allegations beyond all reasonable doubt in the first place.... Good god no.

Since when has an SoS been infallible?
  • Lazy Cow
  • Elder Contributor
  • Thank you received: 1171
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyhasnomates, echidna, Caker, El-dudeareno, Mary, pauly_g

A 'yellow card' to be trialled before you are sanctioned. 22 Oct 2015 17:27 #9790

Exactly, LC. The implication here is that the Sectretary of State's demand for compliance is perfectly reasonable to the claimant in every instance regardless of the claimant's circumstances and never mind whether or not the demand is authorised by law.
  • pauly_g
  • Apprentice Contributor
  • Thank you received: 149
Last Edit: 22 Oct 2015 17:31 by pauly_g.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lazy Cow, billyhasnomates, Caker, Mary, Chester6
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.784 seconds